Tuesday 21 February 2017

It's a conspiracy of hope!

Hello there, gentle reader, and welcome to this blog!

Catholic Conspiracy derives its title from the following passage in the Book of the Prophet Isaiah (or, if you're Vulgate-minded, Isaias):

"Do not call conspiracy what this people calls conspiracy, nor fear what they fear, nor feel dread.But conspire with the LORD of hosts; he shall be your fear, he shall be your dread."
(ch. 8, v. 12-13)


To be honest, it also derives its title from an incident in my own school days, when I and another (Catholic) classmate were taking the mickey out of another young man with different views, and he promptly accused us (in jest, of course) of forming a "Catholic conspiracy". Boys will be boys.


In these days, we are loaded - I would even say overloaded - with information on world affairs, politics and the social issues du jour from a bewildering multiplicity of sources.


Some of these are secular, others are (or claim to be) Christian or even Catholic. But that doesn't mean they are necessarily telling you what is true, right, or spiritually wholesome. Terms such as "post-truth", "alternative facts" and "fake news", though recent additions to the lexicon (they certainly weren't around when I was a boy) are, sadly, an all-too-accurate description of what we are often told to think or believe about the world around us. Inevitably, these modernist and "post-modernist" approaches to the world degenerate into some form of conspiracy theory or the other, and truth suffers.


What I hope to provide, through my posts here, is not a news source or even a source of "op-ed" pieces, but rather general reflections on a variety of issues from an orthodox Catholic perspective. They are not doctrinal pronouncements, but simply the thoughts of one man, and I lay no claim to any sort of infallibility.


I do hope, however, that you'll enjoy reading what I post here, whenever I have the time to.


So hop aboard, friend, and join the Catholic conspiracy. It's a conspiracy of hope.


May our Blessed Mother, and St. Jerome (patron of cantankerous individuals such as I) intercede for me and make sure that, in whatever small way, these reflections are true to the teachings of the Church, are wholesome reading for whoever stumbles upon them, and are never an occasion of sin.


And if you have the time, do pray for me!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I'll be watching this space. Is the backdrop your parish? Pretty fancy. Sometime, post up a closer view of the altar. Best wishes and many prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete